We believe that being accountable to our customers and other stakeholders is fundamental to our commitment to responsible banking.
Greater transparency and accountability leads to a number of benefits, including:
- enhanced corporate reputation
- securing and maintaining a social licence to operate
- a reduced risk profile
- attraction and retention of high calibre employees
- better alignment of stakeholder needs with management focus
- improved access to the growing socially progressive consumer and community sector market
In the past bankmecu has provided a separate Annual Report and Sustainability Report. For the first time in 2010 these two reports were combined into the one document to produce an all encompassing Annual Report.
Over the past two years bankmecu has been working to produce a more advanced report which aims to better integrate reporting of financial and non-financial performance against its business strategy. bankmecu is one of 3 Australian companies participating in the International Integrated Reporting Council (IIRC) pilot programme. The IIRC is leading the development of a global framework for Integrated Reporting.
This year the main focus towards integrated reporting was in refining report materiality, structure and content communication.
Our aim is that this report will demonstrate how the Bank creates, distributes and retains shared value to its customers and other stakeholders.
bankmecu uses a program called the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) 2006 Guidelines to prepare its Annual Report. bankmecu’s Annual Report is verified by a third party using the AA1000 Assurance Standard. The Statutory Financial Report section meets the requirements of the Corporations Act 2001 Australian Accounting Standards and receives an unqualified auditors report.
bankmecu has a history of excellence in reporting and has been awarded regularly since sustainability reporting began:
- winner of the 61st Australasian Reporting Award - Special Category: Sustainability 2011
- short-listing for an Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) Sustainability Report Award 2011
- finalist of the 60th Australasian Reporting Award - Special Category: Sustainabilty 2010
- winner of the 59th Australasian Reporting Award - Special Category: Sustainability 2009
- short-listed for an Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) Sustainability Report Award 2009
- joint winner of the ACCA Continued High Quality Sustainability Reporting Award 2007
- ranked among the top 50 leading sustainability reporters in the world by Global Reporters 2006
- winner of the ACCA Best Sustrainability Report 2005
You can download our current and past reports below. If you do not have the free Acrobat Reader program required to open PDF files, click here to download the Acrobat Reader program.