bankmecu regards education, including professional development, as a prerequisite for achieving greater levels of resilience in the face of constant economic, social and environmental challenge. By becoming more resilient to these challenges, communities are better placed to achieve their full potential. Improving the educational prospects of all Australians is a key way to ensure that all individuals are able to achieve their own aspirations for material well being and personal fulfilment whilst living in a more sustainable environment.
A strong community sector is vital to the sustainable development of Australian society. bankmecu is also committed to making a positive impact on the economy and society by promoting professional directorship and good governance within the sector.
The bankmecu Community Investment Program will provide support to those initiatives that work to address issues relating to:
- Student welfare
- Enhancing student retention in regional Victoria
- Enhancing equality of educational opportunity
- Education in financial literacy
- Professional development for student and qualified teachers, and particularly teachers involved in the areas of science, environmental and social studies
- Leadership development for government school leaders
- Advancement of skills amongst boards of non government organisations
Funds shall be provided to support the growth and development of regional communities where bankmecu operates. In this regard, funding may be invested for the purpose of building partnerships between community groups and key regional stakeholders which provide strategic and targeted responses to economic, environmental and social issues affecting the region.
In 2010 bankmecu became the first customer owned banking institution to sign a Reconciliation Action Plan (link to RAP). As such, bankmecu will direct 2-3 per cent of Community Investment Program funds each year to support Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander Communities.
Furthermore we believe that advances in science will also assist communities to become more resilient in the face of economic, social and environmental challenges. Accordingly, our Community Investment Program will provide support to initiatives which:
- Encourage science education
- Encourage young people to seek and develop careers in science and science education